KimberlyLaw, Lawyer and Real Estate Broker
Experience:  13 years of experience practicing law.

Can I as the grandparent petition the court myself for visitation

Can I as the grandparent petition the court myself for visitation of my grandchildren without the use of a lawyer? Small town in Alabama, everyone knows each other. Son is in jail, where he should be, wife is living with the same type of man. Just closed business dew to economy, had business for 11 years, need to watch money. We as the grandparents are the only stable people in these children's life. Have paid for everything since he child has been born
Hello, I am happy to assist you today.

I will be completely honest here, even if you go to court, you are not likely to get a court order giving you visitation rights to your grandchildren. Those rights are usually just reserved from parents.

What you can do is file for an order of protection, if you feel that they are in physical or emotional danger living with her.

You can also file to receive custody of the children if you feel that they are in danger. This would require you actually adopting them, which is involved and would require a lawyer for sure.

There are not many steps you can take in court that you can handle on your own without a lawyer, because the procedural rules are not very obvious.

You might want to reach out to your local department of child services and see if you can file a report and request that you get permission to adopt them. This is another way that can happen.

Let me know if you have any questions.