How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lawrence D. Gorin Your Own Question
Lawrence D. Gorin
Lawrence D. Gorin, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1544
Experience:  30+ years family law experience. QDROs, UIFSA, UCCJEA expertise.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lawrence D. Gorin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How would a father go about lowering his child support?

This answer was rated:

How would a father go about lowering his child support?

One way is to apply to the Georgia Division of Child Support Services (DCSS) for a review of your existing child support order. BUT..... this may be risky. Here is what DCSS says:

-------> When you ask us (DCSS) to review your support order, DCSS will determine whether an Agency Recommendation will be made as to the amount of current support. The amount may go up, go down, or stay the same. Past due support is not modified. We may also make a recommendation for either or both parents to provide accident and sickness insurance.

-------> When reviewing and changing the support amount, we cannot address visitation and custody issues. You may be advised to talk to a private attorney about these issues. DCSS will provide you with a list of resources, if available in your area.

-------> Note: The DCSS attorney does not represent either parent, but you may seek the assistance of your own attorney, or you may represent yourself.

If you are the person requesting a review, you will have to pay a $100 non-refundable review application fee when the review is complete. Also, when a review is requested, it may take up to six months to complete the process.

A better procedure is to hire a private attorney and file a petitioner directly with the court seeking a support modification (downward adjustment). CLICK HERE for detailed instructions as to how to do this. And CLICK HERE for the forms that you will need.

Thank you and I wish you well.

Lawrence D. Gorin and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you