Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
10707909

We know a woman that had a baby and abandoned it at birth with

We know a woman that had a baby and abandoned it at birth with the grandmother and the grandmother doesn't want to take care of it or want anything to do with it...can we legally take possession of the baby and file for temp guardianship, then pursue adoption?
Hello

Welcome and thank you for your question

I am an attorney with more than 25 years of experience and I look forward to providing you true and correct information in this regard.

Please remember, I can only answer what you ask and so if you have follow up questions, please post them here for full and accurate information before rating. If there are no other questions in this regard then I thank you in advance for your positive rating

Where is the Father and how old is the baby please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There was no father named, and the baby is less than 4 weeks old

Hello

Well, the Grandmother does not have legal authority to put the baby up for adoption. But this does not mean that you cannot file for adoption.

Keep in mind, that once you do that and it becomes evident that the Mother is not around child protective services will get involved. And the grandmother may lose the baby to the system.

I suggest you may want to find the Mother - hire an investigator to find her, if need be and then begin the adoption process, once she knows that is what you want to do.