Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
18572087

If I can prove that the mother has caused the distance between

If I can prove that the mother has caused the distance between my daughter and defamation of my girlfriend, do I stand a chance to gain custody of my youngest daughter to prevent her being subjected to this behavior?

Thank you for your question.

To answer directly, you absolutely stand a chance to do so. Courts hate situations where parents intentionally use their children as pawns. The courts may see it as a situation where it is 'not in the best interest of the child' to be in such a situation, or to remain with a parent who intentionally attempts to adversely affect the relationship between the parents and children. The courts base everything on this 'best interest' evaluation, and that is how the courts try to justify whatever decision they make pertaining to where the child would be placed. That is why if you seek a change in custody, that would be the best approach to consider and to focus direct on this 'best interest' standard and why being with the other parent is not something that would benefit your child.

Good luck.