Ellen, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.

For Fivestarlaw - My nephew in North Carolina got his girlfriend

For Fivestarlaw - My nephew in North Carolina got his girlfriend pregnant. They are still together but not married. Did he break the law because his girlfriend is 17 and he is 18. Can they give the baby my nephew's last name?
*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*

Good morning and welcome back.

It does not appear that your nephew has broken the law. The law does not prohibit consensual sexual intercourse with a person who is 17. A person over the age of 16 may consent to sexual intercourse in North Carolina and is not required to be married to do so.

The baby's mother has the right to name the baby. She may choose to give their baby your nephews last name.

I would be glad to continue our conversation and respond to any follow-up questions that you may have.