How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq. , Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 109115
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello Paul. I served the Defendant a motion to request admissions

Resolved Question:

Hello Paul.
I served the Defendant a motion to request admissions on June 14, a motion to amend complaint on June 18, and a motion to extend discovery on June 21. The Defendant replied with motions objecting to the various motions on July 11th which is greater than 21 days from service of the first two motions and exacting 21 days for the last motion. However, the Defendant's reply was an email with Word Documents that were not signed. Signed motions did not arrive till July 16th which is after 21 days. The hearing for these motions is this Friday, July 26th. Since the objections were made after 21 days, doesn't the Defendant loose the right to object? What must I do to get their motions rejected/denied?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your new question and for asking for me. I look forward to working with you again.

You need to file a motion to strike his objections as being filed out of time with the court. In the motion you need to state that he failed to file timely objections with the court within the time specified by the rules of civil procedure and as such his objections should be stricken and not allowed based on such untimely filing. The court retains the discretion to allow untimely filed pleadings, so it would then be up to the court in your matter to decide.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is there a particular rule of civil procedure that should be referenced? Isn't the response time to motions 21 days from receipt of service? Lastly, does service to me occur when I receive an email with unsigned documents or when the signed and time stamped documents arrive by mail?

Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Yes, VA Rules of Court Rule 3:8.

Answers, Pleas, Demurrers and Motions.
(a) Response Requirement. A defendant shall file pleadings in response within 21 days after service of the summons and complaint upon that defendant, or if service of the summons has been timely waived on request under Code § 8.01-286.1, within 60 days after the date when the request for waiver was sent, or within 90 days after that date if the defendant was addressed outside the Commonwealth. A demurrer, plea, motion to dismiss, and motion for a bill of particulars shall each be deemed a pleading in response for the count or counts addressed therein. If a defendant files no other pleading than the answer, it shall be filed within said time. An answer shall respond to the paragraphs of the complaint. A general denial of the entire complaint or plea of the general issue shall not be permitted.
(b) Response After Demurrer, Plea or Motion. When the court has entered its order overruling all motions, demurrers and other pleas filed by a defendant, such defendant shall, unless the defendant has already done so, file an answer within 21 days after the entry of such order, or within such shorter or longer time as the court may prescribe

The timely filing is when the document is actually received in the court and stamped by the clerk, not when you receive a copy. Thus, if they filed their objections with the court within the 21 days they are considered timely filed, even if you received them later, so look at the date they were received by the court.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When I file a motion to strike, do I file a separate motion to strike for each motion and

am I to include an order to strike for each?

Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 years ago.
No, you file ONE motion asking for each one of them to be stricken, no need for multiple motions that just aggravates the court. Just list each of their objections in your single motion and the dates you served them and the dates the answers or objections should have been filed to show they were filed out of time.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 109115
Experience: Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Law Educator, Esq. and 9 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
< Previous | Next >
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL

Meet The Experts:

  • Ely


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
< Last | Next >
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • LawTalk's Avatar


    Attorney and Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
  • P. Simmons's Avatar

    P. Simmons


    Satisfied Customers:

    16 yrs. of experience including family law.
  • Barrister's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney with 15 years experience
  • AttorneyTom's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:


Related Family Law Questions