Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, 16 years legal experience including family law
4460311

I have a very advanced 15 year old daughter who is also Gay.

Customer Question

I have a very advanced 15 year old daughter who is also Gay. She is over a year ahead in school and scheduled to start college at the age of 16. She does not find a lot in common with 14 and 15 year olds and gravitates toward 17 and 18 year olds. She is currently involved with a girl who just turned 18. My wife and I both know and approve of the older girl and do not think the relationship is harmful in any way. We live several hours away from the older girl and the relationship is non-sexual at this point. We have made it clear that this is the way it is to stay until our daughter reaches the age of consent and decides for herself to go beyound the present point. Is there any law in Washington State that could be used to cause a problem for either of these young ladies?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Tina replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am sorry to hear of your difficult situation. Before I can give you an accurate answer to your question, please provide the following additional information:

Do you have a specific concern such as statutory rape laws or something else?

I look forward to assisting you as soon as I have received this information. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am not too sure what they are threatening. Here is a copy of the email.

Robert,

I am a concerned friend about niki and cheyenne. I know they are having a relationship of a romantic nature. I have found evidence via phone texts, Face book messages, and emails. Just ask to look at nikis. I really care and don't want to see anyone get hurt, but this relationship is unhealthy. they need to be dating people of similar age. I'm worried she's just going to get hurt and someone could get in a lot of trouble. I don't want anyone to go to jail or charges pressed, that would just make it much harder on niki and no one needs lives ruined. I figured you could cut off the communication between them and end the relationship, so authority doesnt need to get involved. I am sorry for coming like this to you ...but i am a worried friend and i care about niki, I don't want her getting herself into something harmful. I also don't want anyone to know i was the one who spilled and told. please please please i beg you though don't do anything more but cut off communication, it will be traumatizing if she has to go through that.also sorry for the fake email but i really don't want her to know what friend, i just want to be a good one.

My daughter goes to a Survival camp each summer and was enrolled in an apprenticship course this summer. She met the other girl there a couple of summers ago and they became close friends. My daughter has since come out and the started to become more attached in the last session. the owner received an annonimous call sayuing that they had witnessed public displays of affection that they though were in appropriate. He has since asked one of the girls to leave the camp permanently and has reduced my daughter from apprentice level to camp helper and told her that she can forget being an instructor until she is 18. He also confronted me and used much the same language as in the above email.

Expert:  Tina replied 1 year ago.
I see. Thank you for clarifying the situation for me, Robert. I certainly understand why you are troubled by this.

Washington state law does prohibit discrimination based on sexual orientation, at least in the employment context, so your daughter could file a complaint with the state Human Rights Commission for investigation since it appears clear that she is being refuse enrollment in the apprentice level because of her sexual orientation.

Here is a link which provides more information on this:

http://www.jacksonlewis.com/resources.php?NewsID=893

In addition, the writer of the e-mail does seem to be referencing state statutory rape laws when he indicates someone may be in a lot of trouble or going to jail. Those laws are typically implements to protect minors from older individuals since lawmakers believe minors do not have the capacity to consent to a sexual relationship with a older partner.

Here is the language of the code:

RCW 9a.44.079

Rape of a child in the third degree.

(1) A person is guilty of rape of a child in the third degree when the person has sexual intercourse with another who is at least fourteen years old but less than sixteen years old and not married to the perpetrator and the perpetrator is at least forty-eight months older than the victim.

(2) Rape of a child in the third degree is a class C felony.

Here is a link to the code:

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9a.44.079

Since your daughter is not yet 16 years of age, someone could report her partner as having had intercourse with your daughter and attempt to have her charged with statutory rape. You indicate they are not sexually active, but if someone were willing to lie to the authorities and even lie under oath, they could potentially cause problems for your daughter and her partner.

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need so I will be compensated for my time from the deposit you posted with this website. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No one can stop a lier from lying, but my immediate concern is that there is no law that stops them from having a non-sexual relationship until she reaches the age of consent. Is this the case?

Expert:  Tina replied 1 year ago.
You are exactly right.

Correct, under the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, we are typically free to associate with you we want as long as no other laws are being violated and there would not be anything to prevent them from having a non-sexual relationship normally.

Tina, Lawyer
Experience: JD, 16 years legal experience including family law
Expert:  Tina replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope you will ask for me should a future legal need arise.

If you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please consider scoring me a 9 or 10. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks again and all the best to you.

Note: Please feel free to request me if you have future legal questions by typing your new question in the question box on my profile page. Here is a link to that page, which you can bookmark or add to your favorites: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-tina/. I look forward to hearing from you again should the need arise.