Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
4460311

How long do I have to wait before i change the locks on my

How long do I have to wait before i change the locks on my house after my husband left. He left on Saturday. He has stated that he has moved out and is looking for another place to live. I live in NC?

Hello and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am sorry to hear of your difficult situation. Before I can give you an accurate answer to your question, please provide the following additional information:

Do you have an agreement with your husband to wait a period of time before you change the locks?

I look forward to assisting you as soon as I have received this information. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no. I do not want to be charged with turning him out of doors if I change the locks.

I see. Thank you for clarifying that for me, Karen.

There is no minimum waiting period before a homeowner may change the locks under these circumstances typically. You may wish to confirm in writing by text, e-mail, or other means that he has moved out and does not intend to return just to protect yourself since you are concerned that he will allege that you locked him out.

I would retain a copy of the writing just in case he tries to make such an allegation against you, but the locks could normally be changed by you.

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need so I will be compensated for my time from the deposit you posted with this website. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you; however, what if he will not state whether he has moved out or not in writing or via text? I have tried to request his answer despite the fact that I have been told that he is looking for an alternitive place to live and he has verbally told me of his intentions.

I see. That is unfortunate, Karen, especially since you are concerned that he may make an allegation that you locked him out.

Under those circumstances, you may wish to notify him in writing when you have changed the locks (and include a statement summarizing your previous conversations with him), and inform him that if he changed his mind and wanted to move back into the home, he can reach you at ___________. Save a copy of this communication to him so you can prove it was sent to him and that would typically protect you from him changing his mind.

Thank you very much for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope you will ask for me should a future legal need arise.

If you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please consider scoring me a 9 or 10. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks again and all the best to you.

Note: Please feel free to request me if you have future legal questions by typing your new question in the question box on my profile page. Here is a link to that page, which you can bookmark or add to your favorites: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-tina/. I look forward to hearing from you again should the need arise.