Joseph, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  I have over a decade of experience as a Family Law litigator

Im in the process of a divorce, my husband moved out. Now

I'm in the process of a divorce, my husband moved out. Now im payinf the mortgage. However he still has motorcycles tools etc stored here. Can I charge him for storage? Or demand that he gets things out???

Until the divorce is finalized, these items are all marital property and need to be divided between the two of you. Until that occurs, you each have equal rights and obligations as to these items of property. With this in mind, there is no legal authority to charge for storage.

As to demanding that it be removed, you might want to hold off on that. Until everything is divided, you don't yet know with certainty what property will go where. Having said that, if you are certain that the property will go to him, you can certainly request that he remove the items. Once the divorce is finalized, then you should have the ability to demand that he remove the items that belong to him.

I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on "OK", "Good" or "Excellent" service. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click on one of the positive indicators. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.
If you are not yet satisfied with my answer, please do not yet rate my service. Instead, please click on the "Reply to Expert" and let me know what else I can do for you. Please only rate my answer when you are fully satisfied.
Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.
Leaving a bonus is not required but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck.