Ellen, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
9968427

Would a parent be neglectful if he was not having his child

Would a parent be neglectful if he was not having his child wear a seat belt in the car or a helmet when riding the bike?
*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*

Thank you for your question. I am a New York licensed attorney. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

New York law requires all children under the age of 14 to wear a helmet. If the parent permits the child to violate the law, the parent is neglectful

Every rider younger than 16 and all front seat passengers must wear a seatbelt. The driver is responsible to ensure that all passengers under the age of 16 are seatbelted. To fail to do so is negligent.

I would be glad to respond to any follow-up questions that you may have.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What if the child was 15 years old?

If the parent is the driver of the vehicle, the parent must assure that the child to seatbelted. Failure to do so is neglectful and negligent.

A 15-year-old is not required to wear a helmet and therefore it would not be neglect to not compel the child to wear a helmet
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The reason I ask is because at 1 month of age, the mother of my child was placing him on a couch where he could fall from instead of a crib. The child fell and was taken to a doctor but he was OK. The doctor reminded the parent of head trauma precautions which include not placing a child with absent trunk control on a surface where he can fall from.

Yes head traumas can be serious.

It has been my pleasure to work with you

Please let me know if I can assist you in the future by requesting me directly.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, serious. But neglectful as in the seat belt and helmet scenarios?

Yes it is neglectful