How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33167
Experience:  JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

First let me say I am and will help my son through college

This answer was rated:

First let me say I am and will help my son through college by buying clothes, helping him with fuel cost, extra cash for spending, carry medical insurance, pay for cell phone, etc. My divorce papers say I have to pay child support until the child becomes 18, marries, etc., except that if the child becomes 18 while enrolled in and attending secondary school on full time basis, then such support shall continue until the child completes secondary school, provided that such support shall not be required after 20. He is in college now an is 18. Do I still have to pay child support?

Hello and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am working on your answer now and will post it here shortly. Thank you for your patience while I prepare your answer.

Hello again, Tom.

Based on the plain language of the court's order, you would typically be required to continue to pay support for the child. I'm sorry, I realize that is not what you wished to hear.

If there have been significantly changed circumstances since the order was entered that would justify a termination or modification of support, you could file such a motion with the court, but your son's going to college would not justify a change typically since that appears to have been contemplated by the court's order.

Here is a link which sets out common grounds to support a modification or termination of support under GA law:

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need so I will be compensated for my time from the deposit you posted with this website. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!


Tina and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you