Ellen, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
9968427

I have been told that if a 16 year old is married, she is emancipated,

I have been told that if a 16 year old is married, she is emancipated, and child protective services can't mess with her. However, she legally has to be in school untl she is 17. So if child protective services is questioning where she goes to school, do they have that right, since she is married, or not?
*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

The 16-year-old is required to attend school until she is 17 regardless of whether she is emancipated. This is a truancy issue but not a dependency issue since the child is emancipated. It is not an issue within the purview of child protective services since this is not a dependent child

I would be glad to respond to any follow-up questions that you may have.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So it would be an issue in this case with the board of education, but not child protective services?

It would be an issue for the emancipated child with the Board of Education and not for the parent of the emancipated child