Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

I am going to be filing a set-aside RFO on child support for

Customer Question

I am going to be filing a set-aside RFO on child support for April 2012- to April 2013, due to fraud (my ex misrepresented his tax filing status +income) I am including x-spouse calculation sheets to show the difference of the support figured and what it should have been. I found a demo version of 2013 x-spouse online to help me with the calculation. My support was calculated in April 2012 on 2011 version x-spouse. My question is if the 2013 version will be sufficient for my attachments?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

As you are challenging the 2012 ruling, whenever possible you should be using the same calculators used at the time your support was calculated. However, if you cannot get use of the calculator from the 2011 version, there was not much of a change in the last year, so the good news is the court knows that pro se litigants do not have access to all of these tools and they will make any adjustments if necessary, as all you need to do is show the difference is significant from what he reported in the 2012 hearing. The only way you can get to the 2011 version would be if you know someone who purchased the calculator, so the courts know that and, again, there really was not much difference.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience: Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I called a legal office today and they told me there were many changes in the software. The legal information I receive tends to be all over the board and I find myself having to weed through it. I think you are right about the courts being flexible with pro se litigants. I'm hoping anyway.

Thank you for your perspective. The only person I know who purchased the calculator was my old lawyer, but I still owe her money so I'm leery to ask. Perhaps I will tell her I'm trying to get the set-aside in order to help me pay my bill to her....Hmm, maybe that's worth a shot. : ) Thanks, again.

Thank you for your response.

While there were software changes, the issue will be that the calculations themselves have not dramatically changed. That is the important part, that the calculations you are presenting show a significant difference because his misrepresentations, because even with the slight changes in the calculations, that would not account for a significant difference in your numbers.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Understood and it makes perfect sense. Thank you again.

Thank you.