originallawyer
originallawyer, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  9+ years of experience in divorce, custody battles and mediation.
74576488

I will be filing for divorce and visitation with my son who

I will be filing for divorce and visitation with my son who lives in PA. I live in MA. His father has previously had my son lie about his living situation and I have concerns that he shares a room with him because he lives with his parents, which was supposed to be temporary before a move to MA but I now feel as though he will not move back as he has been saying he will for two years. He has been lying to me about my son having insurance and visiting the doctor. I am concerned about his parents babysitting because he spends all day on the computer and ipad and wii rather than any activities though I offer to pay for them. I am wondering whether, when we go to court, I will have say in matters of where and whom my child lives with, his activities or lack thereof, and healthcare.
Yes, you will absolutely have input on your child's living situation. The court is obligated to make their decision based on what is in the best interest of the child. If you have evidence that your son's living arrangement is not in your child's best interest, you should present that at the hearing. I also strongly suggest, especially if you are out of the state, that you hire an attorney who is well versed in the laws of the state where your child lives.

Providing healthcare is something the courts also take very seriously. You will less be able to control your son's daily activities when he is not with you, however I have seen Judges allow each parent to enroll a child in extracurricular activities and the other parent must accommodate those activities.

Please let me know if you have additional questions.