Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
4460311

Would my ex-wife qualify for Medi-cal? She is not yet 59.5

Would my ex-wife qualify for Medi-cal?

She is not yet 59.5 years old and has only 10 thousand dollars in spousal support each year (her total income), but she has about 600K in retirement accounts from the divorce ten years ago. Will she quality for Medi-cal because of her below poverty line income, or will her retirement accounts prevent her from doing that?

She is mentally ill, and I help her as best I can with support and paying many of her bills. I'd like to advise her on this as well. -Joe

Hello and welcome,

No, she would not typically qualify for Medi-Cal benefits with a retirement account valued at approximately $600k. Her allowable assets may be no greater than $2k normally. There are some assets, such as a primary residence, which are not included in determining eligibility, but a retirement account normally would be.

Here is a link which lists the type of assets which are not included in determining eligibility:

http://www.cahealthadvocates.org/low-income/medi-cal.html

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need so I will be compensated for my time from the deposit you posted with this website. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Thank you very much for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope you will ask for me should a future legal need arise.

If you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please consider scoring me a 9 or 10. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks again and all the best to you.

Note: Please feel free to request me if you have future legal questions by typing your new question in the question box on my profile page. Here is a link to that page, which you can bookmark or add to your favorites: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-tina/. I look forward to hearing from you again should the need arise.