Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, 17 years legal experience including family law

My wife and I live in Colorado and want to do a non-contested

My wife and I live in Colorado and want to do a non-contested divorce but we have no clue on alimony b/c Colorado law in this area has a lot of factors. We have been married for 6 years, no kids (she has one from a previous marriage,), I am giving are a large percent of assets (including 1/2 of my account 10k) and she will probably get around 10k for the sale of the house. I make $150,000 a year and she has the potential to make around $24,000 (she is hairdresser but currently only working 3 days a week). In addition she gets $550 child support from her first husband. She is 39 and I am 45. I am just looking for a ballpark, given the above the data, for what the monthly payment should be and for how long.

Hello and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am working on your answer now and will post it here shortly. Thank you for your patience while I prepare your answer.

This is really a ballpark figure, Mike, but CO does typically employ a formula for temporary support. Using that formula, you would likely pay your spouse approximately $30k per year. The number of years is difficult to determine as well, but courts will usually look to how long before the receiving spouse needs to become financially independent or other factors which indicate the needs of the receiving spouse.

Because of the relatively short length of the marriage, alimony would not typically be permanent but temporary though, perhaps for a few years at the most.

Here is a link which sets out the formula used by CO court under these circumstances:

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need so I will be compensated for my time from the deposit you posted with this website. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I undestand the temp formula but in reading online that is not applied once the divornce is final. Are you sayting that it would be?

Hello again, Mike.

No, I am not saying it would be, but it provides a framework for you to use and a court could use it, adjusting it up or down based on the specific facts of your case.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not exactly blaming your answer. With that said I just could have come up with this answer myself. I was looking for some information based on experiences for similar situations or what a lawyer would recommend if they were mediating the case.

I am a mediator and the parties may come up with anything from nothing to $50k under these circumstances and so could a court depending on all the evidence which is elicited at trial.

I took your question because you seemed to understand that this would be a ballpark amount. It is certainly open to negotiations, but a persuasive argument could be made from either side. The length of the marriage weighs in your favor, but the potential needs of your spouse would normally weigh in her favor, so it really depends on all the evidence which is set forth in a particular case.