Ellen, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.

My daughter is married, but her husband does not take care

My daughter is married, but her husband does not take care of her and does not live with her. She just had a baby that is his. She lives with us (her parents). She has very little money. She will have a large hospital bill because the baby was premature and she had toxemia. Can the hospital make us (the parents) pay the hospital bill? Her husband does have a job. He is an alien and we are afraid that he may possibly flee the country.
*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

The hospital cannot make you the parents liable for your married daughters hospital bill based upon your relationship.

A parent is not responsible for a married child's medical bills. Therefore provided that you did not contractually agree with the hospital to pay your daughter's medical bills, you cannot be held liable for them

I would be glad to respond to any follow-up questions that you may have.