Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney

our grandson will be 13 in October - his parents have shared

our grandson will be 13 in October - his parents have shared custody with his mother being primary parent. Our grandson would like to live exclusively with his mother in Washington state. Can he elect to do this and if so, whom should he contact to start the process?
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about this difficult situation.

Unfortunately, it is not up to your grandson as to make the choice of custody or visitation since he is a minor, but up to the court and if the mother has legal grounds to change legal custody / visitations, then it would be the mother who would have to file a Petition to Modify Custody / Visitation with the court and the judge will review the petition and all related evidence and facts and will make a decision based on what would be in the best interest of the minot child. While the 13 year old might be given a chance to voice his preference in the court, the judge will review the 13 year old wishes, but such wishes would not be deciding factor in the court's decision on custody and visitation.

I wish you the best of luck!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you for your help - just thought I would ask.

I wish you the best of luck.

Please click on the "excellent service" rating, so I can receive credit for my answer. Bonus and positive feedback is always appreciated, but is not required.