originallawyer
originallawyer, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  7+ years of experience in divorce, custody battles and mediation.
74576488

If I get engaged but dont live with my fiancé, can my alimony

If I get engaged but don't live with my fiancé, can my alimony from ex-husband be terminated?
Good morning! That's a great question.

The answer is going to center on what your divorce decree states. Does your decree say anything about what reasons your ex can use? Such as cohabitation, etc?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Good morning,

The decree states "Alminoy shall terminate sooner than the above on the marriage of Wife or the death of either party.".

Based on that, I'd say that if you remain engaged, but not married, he could not petition to terminate your alimony. Do be ware of cohabitation, as if you are engaged and living with your fiance, his argument would be that you were essentially living as married with your fiance.

Essentially, if you continue to support yourself, and the decree does not say "engagement" but says specifically "marriage" then I imagine he'll probably start planning on ending the alimony once you are married, but until you get married, there's not going to be much he can do.