Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.

I worked with a lawyer. I talked to him a few times before

I worked with a lawyer. I talked to him a few times before I signed his retainer. After I signed the retainer he missed to chances to file a motion I needed. So I fired him. For a couple of days work he added all these charges that ended up twice the retainer that was to include going to court. He never did any of it. My question is, can I refuse to pay for all the changes before I signed the retainer? He even charged me two billable hours to drive to court to read the case when everything is online and even I can get it. I believe it is sour grapes on his part.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 3 years ago.

Welcome and thank you for your question

I am an attorney with more than 25 years of experience and I look forward to providing you true and correct information in this regard.

Please remember, I can only answer what you ask and so if you have follow up questions, please post them here for full and accurate information before rating. If there are no other questions in this regard then I thank you in advance for your positive rating

So you consulted with him and then decided to hire him and pay his retainer? Is that correct?

Is he now deducting those hours from your retainer?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Basically I was out of town talked to him on phone. Flew back to meet with him on a Friday so he could file a motion Monday. He didn't do it. After missing the date we agreed too and then the second date we agreed to I fired him. He quoted $1500 for motion and court. Never went to court and I fired him after a week because of missed dates. Now he sent a bill with everything under the sun sour grapes for $2700. My question is we had no signed agreement till Friday do I have to pay for the things he is billing before I signed the retainer.
Expert:  Samuel II replied 3 years ago.

If there was no agreement verbal or written for the consultation before you hired him - then no. There is no legal obligation. Though he will bring a lawsuit against you, I suggest you would win.

However, I suggest you may want to file a Complaint and a fee dispute with the Michigan Bar Association for his missing the court dates/motions and also the extra fees.

Here is the link to do that.