Ellen, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.

about two years ago my husband and I started the disabilty

about two years ago my husband and I started the disabilty action with lawyers and since then we separated just recently was his hearing andhe won now he wants a divorice am I able to recive some of his money we are still married
*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

Are you referring to an award for disability income for the prior 2 years?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

my husband and I have been married 14 years two years ago we went to a disability attoney since then we separated he wants a divorice I don't my question am I eligible for some of his disability award.

Hi LaDonna,

Thank you for the clarification.

Yes you would be eligible for portion of his disability award.

The disability award would typically be considered marital property and be subject to division by the court.

Disability is a replacement for earned income. In a divorce all assets and income up into the time of the divorce are considered to be marital property. All marital property is divided approximately 50-50.

I would be glad to respond to any follow-up questions that you may have.