Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

Can I re- open my settlement due to recent discoveries ?

Customer Question

It had been less then a year since my ex and I reached a mediation settlement for our divorce. At that time I had no knowledge of specic event that have unfolded since. My ex lied on the discovery paperwork and did not provide all I formation due to he and his lawyer were trying to keep his infedelity under wraps. Less than 51/2wks after the final papers were signed he informed my grown son that in 6 months he would be moving in with the person and with her two children. I just found out about this 7 months later as my son felt I should know before my ex took off to Fla. there are also funds that now have come to surface that are being spent. Do I have the right to go back to court to re-evaluate the settlement due to the recent discoveries? And if so can he be charged with fraud for lying about financials and the questions on discoveries about infidelity? I live in Georgia.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Family Law litigation attorney. Thanks for your question, but I'm sorry for your trouble with this.

If your ex lied to you and the court about his financial information, then that would give you grounds to try and set aside the settlement based on fraud and misrepresentation.

The fact that he had a relationship that wasn't disclosed is also an issue, but it's not as relevant to the court if the divorce was based on irreconcilable differences. This is so because adultery wasn't raised as a ground for divorce (because you didn't know), and it would not likely have made much difference in the property division agreement anyway.

However, the main issue is that he misrepresented his financial information to the court and you, and that the settlement was based on falsehoods provided by your ex, which should give you grounds to seek a modification.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So the savings account and credit card he did not provide on discovery before we settled is grounds to fraud. He also on his financial affidavit lied about his total income as fuel and vehiclereimbursement were not list nor his bonus. Those he deposited in the a count not listed. Per my estimate there is a substantial amount of money he brought down to Florida to his girlfriends right before he moved out.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Yes, you can allege fraud and misrepresentation due to his failure to disclose information and if he misrepresented some of the numbers/amounts that were disclosed.

You should consult your attorney about getting a motion to set aside filed as soon as possible.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there any certain length of time that I have to do this? And now that he lives in Fla, do I have to file anything g in that state or does everything stay in the courts here?
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
The statute of limitations for fraud is 1 year in Georgia. Also, the ability to set a side a court order (which would include a court-approved settlement agreement) is generally 6 months, but can be extended to 1 year if the information was not discoverable/available - - thus, you have a limited time to take action.

Thus, you should get something fled regarding this asap.

Also, you can still file in the same court in Georgia as jurisdiction remains with that court since you're still a resident there.
Roger, Attorney
Experience: BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your assistance. It is still processing the payment from what I can see on my end. Will it send me an email when the transaction is completed ?
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Hi -

We don't deal with that part of the site, but you can click the "Help" button below and customer service can tell you how that works.