Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Lawyer
Experience:  I have assisted many customers and clients with their family law questions and I'm experienced in family law litigation.
45002201

How useful is it to use an expert witness at trial to testify

How useful is it to use an expert witness at trial to testify regarding the amount of alimony a party needs to support her reasonable needs where the amount is high given significant medical expenses?

texlawyer :

Good evening. I'll be assisting you with your question.

Customer:

Ok Thanks

texlawyer :

Generally, parties to not have experts regarding reasonable alimony needs. However, in some high conflict divorces, they can be used.

texlawyer :

In my experience, this only happens in high cost divorces where there is a very significant amount of money on the line.

texlawyer :

So, it largely depends on your specific case, but the vast majority of divorces calculate alimony just based on the testimony of the parties and financial records.

Customer:

Do you have the same opinion regarding vocational experts? I'm a 58 year old attorney who was laid off from my job 2 years ago during budget cuts. I am currently on SSD. I was assuming that my age, lay off, time out of the work force, lack of a book of business, health issues, and prior failed efforts to get a job would suffice, but H is claiming I could go out and get another high paying job tomorrow. Well, actually - yesterday. :) Would my own testimony suffice or would it be useful to use a vocational expert here, particularly given that my SSD is not permanent.

texlawyer :

That is a different issue. In your case, I think having a vocation expert to testify about your difficulty in finding employment would be very beneficial. As you probably know, a judge will be skeptical about someone coming in saying they can't get a job. However, and expert backing that up, in your situation, should have a significant impact.

texlawyer :

Also, it sounds like the alimony is going to be really important to your well being, so if I were advising you, I'd pull out all the stops.

Customer:

Will do. Thanks for your help!