Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney

My fiancee has left me and refuses to return the engagement

My fiancee has left me and refuses to return the engagement ring I can no longer afford to make payments on. Is there any way I can legally request it back?
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation.

An engagement ring is considered to be a gift in aniticipation of marriage and does not become a final gift, until marriage takes place.

If your fiancee is refusing to return your engagement ring, then you can file a lawsuit in the local court where your fiancee is currently residing for the return of the ring or the value of the ring.

I wish you the best of luck and please let me know if you have any related follow up questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Does it matter that she moved back to Austin Texas and I still reside in Gretna Virginia?

Dear Austin,

Thank you for your follow up.

Unfortunately, you would have to sue your former fiancee in the court that is local to where your ex-fiancee currently resides, as only that court would have personal jurisdiction over your former fiancee.

I wish you the best of luck!