Steven  K.
Steven K., Family Law Attorney
Experience:  I have practiced family law since 1996, focusing on child custody and domestic violence
44472555

Hello, how can I find a last will and testament of someone

Hello, how can I find a last will and testament of someone that has passed away in Mexico City? My boyfriends father passed about 6 months ago. He owned a company, several houses, and land. He is not sure if he needs to go back to Mexico to take care of any affairs and no one has contacted him to tell him otherwise. He unfortunately does not have a copy of the testament, he does not know if his dad kept one lying around anywhere, and he does not know who his father's lawyer was... we are searching from scratch w/ no info other than a name and company name.
Thanks!

Steven Kincaid :

Thank you for allowing me to assist you.

Steven Kincaid :

A will can be kept anywhere. Commonly, people keep a copy in their house, or their attorney take action upon the client's death. The only standard way to seek one is to check the courts anywhere someone may have filed a will on his behalf. Was he a Mexican citizen residing in Mexico? Did he ever live in the United States?

Customer:

Hello Steven,

Steven Kincaid :

Hi.

Customer:

Thanks for your help. No, he did not live in the US. He was a citizen of Mexico and lived in Mexico City. He was Jewish however, and did also live in Israel at one point but this was as a small child. Other than that he always lived in Mexico City. He does own a company which is located in Mexico City. We were hoping there would be an easy place to go on line to look for this information as opposed to having to physically fly to Mexico to look. My BF does not know what the lawyers name is XXXXX XXXXX did not speak with his father very much at the end of his life (his dad left the family for another women and they did not talk much after that). The other wife says there is no will, but being that the father owns a company my BF has a feeling there has to be one in place - especially since the father owned his company. He thinks it would be uncharacteristic of him to not put one in place.

Steven Kincaid :

I'm sorry there isn't a better way to find a will. Is there anything else I can answer for you?

Customer:

Thanks for your help though. I do appreciate it. Have a great rest of the weekend!