originallawyer, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  7+ years of experience in divorce, custody battles and mediation.

We live in Texas and my spouse in in debt for child support

We live in Texas and my spouse in in debt for child support for children that are now 22 & 23 years old. Will he owe this for the rest of his life? We are low income and will never be able to repay that. As a result of non payment he has a constant warrant for his arrest and that prevents him from getting jobs. When his children have needs we happily help them in any way we can even if that means we are without necessities. Can anything be done or do we have to continue on like this?
Good afternoon:

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Unfortunately, unless the mother of the children waives her rights to receive that back child support, it will follow him. Texas will continue to collect on her behalf.

Additionally, even if she waives her rights, if the children were ever on state assistance (CHIPS, etc), he may have an outstanding debt with the State of Texas.

Texas is not a very friendly state for persons who owe child support, as the interest charged on support is 6% and this continues to accrue as long as there is debt.