socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)

My boyfriend has a son who just turned 1 Friday. The mother

My boyfriend has a son who just turned 1 Friday. The mother of the child didn't put him on the birth certificate but he has paid her child support since the birth and sees the child when she will allow it which isn't often. She lives an hour and a half away and is now moving almost 3 hours away to live with her parents. Her fathered molested her as a child but no charges were ever filed. He has text messages and emails from her about the molesting and he actually spoke with her father who admitted to molesting her as a child. Could he file for custody bc she has the child living with her father who molested her when she was a child?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 1 year ago.

When you say that your boyfriend pays child support, do you mean that he pays "court ordered" child support, or that he voluntarily pays support without a court order?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He pays without a court order.
Okay thanks!

1. Since he is not on the birth certificate and no court order has ever been made re custody, support or paternity, your son is a "legal stranger" to the child. He is not the child's parent and he has no rights whatsoever, until his biological connection to the child is established in court.

2. If he can prove that he has been paying "support" (really just a gift to the other parent), and that he has tried to maintain a parental relationship with the child, then he can file a petition for paternity, custody and support, and once his paternity is formally establshed by DNA testing, the court is very likely to award substantial custody -- even without proof that the mother is choosing to move in with a parent who is an alleged child molester.

3. The problem here should be obvious. If the mother were to admit that her father molested her as a child, then the father would throw her out on the street. But, if your son has email from the mother about molestation, and those emails are still on a commercial web server (e.g., hotmail, gmail. yahoo.com, etc.), where the email can be authenticated, then that would be extremely good evidence to prevent the child from being moved into that environment -- and it would increase your son's chances of getting additional custody rights.

Your son needs to hire a lawyer. If he can afford one, then see this link. If he cannot, then see this link.

Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He also has text messages from her threatening to kill herself. She was arrested on a warrant in march but we don't know for what. She was released the same day is all we know. He has kept all proof of payments on the money he has given her and takes pics of him with the child each time she allows him to see him. If she doesn't live with her father who she claims molested her but allows him to be around the child could he still get custody? And he has saved every text and email from her. She also sent him a pic of her smoking maraguan while she was pregnant which he also saved.
Txt messages are very difficult to authenticate in court, so while I won't say the messages are usless, I will say that the court could decide that they're not sufficently trustworthy to admit into evidence.

An arrest, without a conviction also has little weight in court.

Proof of payment is great. Photos with the child is also great -- shows a caring parental relationship is already established.

Marijuna photo while pregnant -- that would impress me if I were the judge reviewing a custody request. Shows that the parent doesn't care about the child, and may have a substance abuse problem.

Pretty good stuff, in my opinion.

Re who gets custody, legally, mother already has custody. Your son is entitled to joint custody or visitation, and it is extremely unlikely that the mother would lose custody. The question will be who should be the day-to-day caregiver. That's up to the court, and the judge will want to review all of the facts. The most interesting evidence -- to me -- is the marijuana smoking while pregnant. That shows a pretty careless attitude towards her child.

Your son will have to put it all in front of the judge and see what happens. I don't think any single fact would cause the court to make a decision. Your son would need evidence of ongoing criminal activity, recent child abuse by the mother, or serious mental or physical disability, which would make it difficult or impossible to care for the child in a consistent manner.

Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But with the evidence he has about her choice to live with her father who she claims in emails molested her as a child he could have a good chance at becoming the person the child resides with?
What you have to prove is that the mother's choices are routinely not in the child's best interests:

1. smoked marijuana while child was pregnant
2. has made no effort to legally bring the father into the child's life
3. intends to move in with grandparent who mother alleges is a child molestor
4. mother threatens suicide
5. seeks to relocate farther away from child's father
6. was arrested on warrant for [hopefully some dangerous criminal activity]

None of this, by itself is a case. Everything, put together, starts to show a pattern of risky conduct. If father can provide a more stable environment, then he may be a better choice.

Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With there being a sense of urgency to establish DNA since she is moving in with her father she claims molested her would he be able to get the court to put a rush on the results? It takes 6 months on average where we live to get the results back bc the list is so backed up. Or could he contact child protective services and get them involved in order to speed up the process?
If your son takes the position that the child is his, and that he needs to obtain a judgment from the court immediately, because otherwise the child will be placed in an environment with a person who the mother claims is a child molester, then I believe that the court would make orders to either get the DNA test done immediately, or prohibit the child from residing with the alleged molester.

Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One last thing, if he does nothing and her father does end up doing something to the child can he be held responsible in any way where he has knowledge that her father molested her and he took no action to remove the child from the situation by filing for custodial parent? If it comes out in court if something happened could he and the mother both be in legal trouble for allowing the child to be put in harms way?
One last thing, if he does nothing and her father does end up doing something to the child can he be held responsible in any way where he has knowledge that her father molested her and he took no action to remove the child from the situation by filing for custodial parent?

A: No, because at this time, your son is a legal stranger. He owes the child nothing more than any other complete stranger. In fact, he may end up getting a DNA test and discovering that the child isn't actually his. This may seem inconceivable, but I can tell you from experience, that it happens all the time.

If it comes out in court if something happened could he and the mother both be in legal trouble for allowing the child to be put in harms way?

A: Your son is not at risk. Period.

Hope this helps.
socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience: Retired (mostly)