originallawyer, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  7+ years of experience in divorce, custody battles and mediation.

My husband hired a lawyer and he filed for divorce last 6/24/2013.

My husband hired a lawyer and he filed for divorce last 6/24/2013. From what I read in the county courthouse page that after the papers are filed, he pays the fee, he gets two copies, one to keep for himself, and one to be served to be. Does my husband hold the copy to be served to me or does his lawyer. After he filed how long do I have to wait to be served the papers. I'm not sure on how to proceed should I hire myself a lawyer as well. My husband is not very forthcoming with any information about the papers he filed.
Absolutely, you should hire your own attorney. You will be a great disadvantage if you do not have an attorney and your husband does.

The copy to be served to you can be either given to you by your husband or his attorney, and you can sign a waiver saying you've received the copy and understand that he's file for divorce.

The copy can be served on you by a sheriff's constable, or by a private process server.

Since you most be served before the case can go forward, you should expect to be served sooner rather than later.

If you are served with the papers by a private process server or constable, the papers will explain to you that you have a certain period of time to respond to the divorce or you will be divorced by default. For this reason alone, I suggest hiring an attorney, as they can file the response or "answer for you."

Further, when it comes to distribution of assets, many times the party who does not have an attorney agrees too readily to give things up that they might otherwise be entitled to.