originallawyer, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  7+ years of experience in divorce, custody battles and mediation.

Are female judges or referees more likely to side with the

Are female judges or referees more likely to side with the mother in a custody/visitation case in your experience? The child is 13 months old, but trial does not seem to be in sight soon.
In my experience I've seen female judges go both ways, both in support of the mom and in support of the father. It really depends on the Judge's personal life at times and their individual judicial philosophy.

I've seen Judges who were single mothers themselves who were at times harder on single moms, just because they expected the single mom to be able to take care of herself and her children. Generally speaking though, most I've come across have applied the law properly when it came down to it. I've had unfair rulings come from both genders of Judge.

So definitively, it is impossible to say that a female judge will always favor the mother in a case.