Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Lawyer
Experience:  I have assisted many customers and clients with their family law questions and I'm experienced in family law litigation.
45002201

The last several child exchanges did not go smoothly. Ex refused

The last several child exchanges did not go smoothly. Ex refused to come to door and be seen. State clearely required both paents to be present. I waited 5-10 minutes (with video) until ex shpowed herself. Yesterday, after waiting 10 minutes, I called for local police assistance, when they arrived, ex came to the door and exchange proceeded. What are my options? Neutral 3rd party location?

texlawyer :

Good evening. I'll be assisting you with your question.

texlawyer :

You have several options, but the most viable is what you've brought up.

texlawyer :

First, you can ask the judge to require the exchange to be done at a neutral location.

Customer:

I agree - when I suggested this...it was ignored.

texlawyer :

Second, you can ask the judge to order your ex to bring the child to you.

texlawyer :

It is important to have a specific time for the exchange. If your ex will not comply, your only option is to go back to the judge and ask him to be held in contempt.

Customer:

Roger, do I need to file a motion? "Aks the judge" is a bit vague

texlawyer :

Yes. I'm sorry. You have to file a motion, which asks the judge to take the action you request.

Customer:

Roger, I know Texas is not Indiana, but to file a motion would I likely go to the courthouse?

texlawyer :

The judge will generally not require a hearing on a matter like you've described. However, if you make a motion for contempt, there will almost certainly be a hearing.

Customer:

Is there really any point is asking for "contempt"? Does it really DO anything?

texlawyer :

It depends on the situation. If a person is held in contempt, the judge has lots of options, ranging from a warning, to a fine, all the way to throwing someone in jail.

Customer:

Thank you

texlawyer :

Glad to help.

texlawyer :

Can I do anything else for you?

texlawyer :

If not, please remember to "Rate" my answer. Have a good evening.