Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 16 years experience
19958803

What rights does unwed father have before baby is born?

Customer Question

Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
.

.

While the baby is "in eutero" (unborn) the presumed father would not have any legal rights to the child. A baby must be born alive in order for a father to acquire legal rights to the child. If the parents aren't married, then the father would have to file a formal paternity action in family court in order to have a judge order a DNA test to confirm paternity.

.

One that was done, if paternity is confirmed, then the biological father would then have legal rights to visitation/custody as well as obligations for paying child support.

.

.

.

Thanks.

.

.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.

.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Then why must he pay medical bills?
Expert:  Barrister replied 3 years ago.
There is no legal obligation for him to do so prior to the child being born. This is because until a DNA test is performed confirming that he is the biological father, then it is possible that there is another man who is the father.
.
.
Thanks