How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Tina Your Own Question

Tina, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33162
Experience:  JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a foster/adopt parent in Stanislaus County. We had our

Customer Question

I am a foster/adopt parent in Stanislaus County. We had our first placement in early 2009, the baby was taken into custody after the carseats was taken and thrown into the street with the 8 day old baby in it. The bio-mother did not comply with court order reunification and so we finalized adoption in mid-2010. Before we finalized that adoption their was a sibling born, who was abused and abandoned, he was placed with us in early 2010. Services were not offered to the bio-mother in this case and we finalized early 2011.
The third child was born in mid 2011, and reunification services were offered in good-faith, however the bio-mother did not comply with the reunification guidelines, and so rights were again terminated and we finalsed adoption in late 2012.
Now earlier this year, there was another child born in Los Angeles County, after recommendation of the child to be placed with us and with the child's siblings. Los Angeles County decided that placing the child with the maternal grandmother (despite the concerns regarding her background in all the other cases, and this one) was sufficient.

Custody was signed over to the maternal grandmother.

My concern is that the bio-mothers life style (drugs, prostituting, theft) still continue. And placing the child under the supervision of another person who still lives other same house hold, does not protect the child from the same events the other siblings had to endure.

I am trying to find out if I have any rights in this situation, and if there is anything that I can do.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Tina replied 2 years ago.

Hello and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am sorry to hear of your difficult situation. Before I can give you an accurate answer to your question, please provide the following additional information:

Who signed custody over to the maternal grandmother, was this done by court order or a decision by CPS?

I look forward to assisting you as soon as I have received this information. Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The bio-mother asked CPS if she could sign custody over to her mother to avoid the child being placed in foster care. CPS agreed.
Expert:  Tina replied 2 years ago.

I see. Thank you for clarifying that, Jennie.

What you would typically need to do under these circumstances is to file a petition for guardianship or adoption of the child, citing the mother's past history of abusing/abandoning her children as well as any instances of abuse/neglect involving this child.

The fact that the child remains in the same household as the mother would typically suggest to a court that it is in danger and that CPS erred in this instance. Only a court order can override the placement which has been made, so guardianship or adoption are the options you have to seek custody of the child.

You will need a good family law attorney to represent you in this matter though, especially since you are not a relative and do not appear to have a previous relationship with this particular child, which are factors a court will normally consider in granting guardianship.

Adoption is more difficult as you may know since it involves terminating the parents' legal rights, so you may have a better shot at obtaining guardianship, but you may also need the help of a guardian ad litem in this case if you do not have proof yet that this child is currently being abused or neglected.

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need so I will be compensated for my time from the deposit you posted with this website. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!


Expert:  Tina replied 2 years ago.
Hello again Jennie,
I wanted to thank you for using JustAnswer, and to inquire whether my answer was helpful in clarifying your understanding of the law even though it may not have resulted in the outcome you were hoping it would.
Is there anything else I can assist you with?
If you do not require further legal information at this time, please feel free to bookmark my profile so you can request me when you do have another question. Here is a link to my profile:
Thank you very much and all the best to you.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
< Previous | Next >
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL

Meet The Experts:

  • Ely


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
< Last | Next >
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
  • LawTalk's Avatar


    Attorney and Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
  • Brandon M.'s Avatar

    Brandon M.

    Family Law Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney experienced in all aspects of family law
  • Barrister's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney with 15 years experience
  • AttorneyTom's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers: