FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
9540344

Divorce Case In FLORIDA, USA. Received a letter on June

Divorce Case In FLORIDA, USA.

Received a letter on June 22 notifying me that the Divorce Case has been referred to a " General Magistrate.

i.e. "Order of referral to general Magistrate"
Date 6/20/2013

"You an entitled to have this matter heard by a judge -IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO HAVE THIS MATTER HEARD BY A MAGISTRATE, YOU MUST FILE A WRITTEN OBJECTION WITHIN 10 DAYS OF DATE OF SERVICE"

Questions:
1. What advantages/disadvantages are there with a Magistrate vs a Judge?

2. What 10 days are they counting?
The 10 days from the day the letter was typed?
Or 10 days from when letter was postmarked delivered?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 3 years ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good afternoon. It is normally a matter of preference if a case will be heard by a Judge or Magistrate, as some parties find that the Judge will be more understanding of any case law and the application of it to the case. Often times, the Magistrate is more then capable of handling the matter and it can often times expedite the divorce proceedings. If the case has to be transferred in front of a Judge, it could delay things and take time to set and be heard. If you divorce is fairly simple, there is not harm in going before the Magistrate if you would like and then they make a recommendation and send it over to the Judge to sign. The 10 days would start from when the letter was delivered/received.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you!

Unfortunately, I do not see an option to rate your clearly stellar (and very prompt service) only to accept.

Thanks again!