Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

my ex wife, whom i have a child with, is asking for my now

my ex wife, whom i have a child with, is asking for my now fiance's information. My fiance is not comfortable with my ex wife knowing her last name or where she works etc due to some erratic behavior. Since my son spends time with myself and my fiance am I under any legal obligation to disclose that information to my ex wife?
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

I am sorry for your situation.

am I under any legal obligation to disclose that information to my ex wife?

Informally - no. There is no law in Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 208 (family) or any other chapter that dictates that you must give your ex information about your significant other or fiance. So if she is simply asking informally, this may be ignored, or a letter may be written back stating that this is not information she is entitled to (let me know if you need a sample letter by using the REPLY button).

If she is asking information via discovery/subpoena during a pending child custody matter, then she may ask information in regards XXXXX XXXXX fiance's criminal history, alcohol/drug/ history, and other nuances that may affect the custody situation, as the Court views any individuals who are living in the household of a parent as part of the environment, and as such, affecting the decision.

But I am guessing here, she is simply asking informally. If so, then she has no right to know and you do not have to tell her. I am also assuming here that the divorce decree does not demand that the parties update each other of adults who live in the households (let me know if it does). As such, then she has no right to have this information.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Best of luck.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

could i please have a sample letter?

By all means:

Dear ____________,

This correspondence is in regards XXXXX XXXXX recent request for the following information: [briefly state].

At this point, I am declining to provide this information. This is not because I wish to hide anything from you, but because (1) the law does not require me to do so and (2) I wish to save my fiance the harassment of any legal proceedings to which she is not a part of.

Sincerely,

Signature

Name

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE and submit your rating when we are finished.
Thank you for your gratuity.