Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.

can my sons father have him stay overnight at his girlfriends

can my sons father have him stay overnight at his girlfriends house if he does not have a room of his own there which he did at his fathers?

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

My apologies but whomever told you that he must have the same exact conditions is not quite correct. Your son is entitled to habitable conditions but he is not legally entitled to his own room. Provided that the premises are habitable, that is permitted. Although you could potentially contest overnight visits at a stranger's home if that person is not vetted or known as being 'fit'--you could potentially go to court and seek a modification of custody expressly forbidding that the child have overnights at someone else's home without your express consent first.

Good luck.

You asked:

thanks dimitry. What time of lawyer should I contact for this. Can I also name someone who my son could be with besides his father
A family law attorney would be able to assist you. You can potentially name others but the other parent can contest your petition and appear to demand otherwise. He likewise can contest your demands as you generally cannot make all parental decisions on your own. You can name those whom you prefer but it would be up to he judge to either consent to that or to refuse your requests.

Good luck.