Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
18572087

how can I protect my sons life insurance policy and social

how can I protect my sons life insurance policy and social security payments if I should die. I have primary custody of my son and he has partial custody. The man uses drugs and would not take care of my child with that money
Thank you for your question. PLease permit me to assist you with your concerns.

How old is your son at this time?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

5

Denise,

Thank you for your follow-up. You can choose to write a will in which you specifically name someone else who is not the other parent as the executor of the estate and who would be in charge of all financial obligations from your end toward the child. As a consequence you could attempt to bypass the other parent by having this third party be in charge of life insurance benefits (which can be further placed in trust so the father cannot get to those accounts), and you can also possibly name someone you would prefer to become the guardian of the child upon death, although that would still be up to the courts to evaluate and either honor or deny.

Good luck.