TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA

Are glasses and contacts considered medical expenses? What

Are glasses and contacts considered medical expenses? What I mean are they required to be reimbursed? My ex bought glasses prescription sunglasses and two years of contacts for daughter for $600. I didn't preapprove. I pay 82% so I know she doing it to just make me pay. My daughter won't ever wear glasses.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

Yes, glasses and contacts are medical expenses. The sunglasses may be a bit much, and you may be able to argue over those since she could simply wear contacts and regular sunglasses (which is what I do). She does need glasses however, even if she never wears them out. I wear contacts 99% of the time, but when I get home from work I often take them out and wear glasses for an hour or two before going to bed. Your daughter may want to do the same since contacts can bother a person's eye after too many hours. But I don't see why she'd need prescription sunglasses. That is not a necessity, and if your ex is supposed to get your preapproval, then I'd certainly fight that expense.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied. Also, your positive feedback is much appreciated. Thank you for using our service!

If you would like to direct additional legal questions to me in the future, then please type "To VAMD" in the subject line of your question.