TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Licensed to Practice Law

My friend is divorcing and wanted to know if he went for split

My friend is divorcing and wanted to know if he went for split custody of his 4 kids (6 months/6 months) would he still have to pay child support?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

VAMD, Esq. :

Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

VAMD, Esq. :

It's possible that he would still have to pay child support.

VAMD, Esq. :

The length of time that each parent has the kids is a factor in how much child support (if any) is paid.

VAMD, Esq. :

However, another factor is their income.

VAMD, Esq. :

If your friend makes $1 million per year, and the ex makes $40,000 per year, then I'm certain he'd have to pay child support even though they split time.

VAMD, Esq. :

On the other hand, if they both earn about the same each year, then child support probably wouldn't be ordered.

VAMD, Esq. :

Does that make sense?

VAMD, Esq. :

Did I answer your question?

VAMD, Esq. :

It appears that you are offline. When you return online feel free to respond or rate my answer.

VAMD, Esq. :

Thank you.

TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience: Licensed to Practice Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

He makes about $100K per year and she has been a homemaker for the last 16 years. She is currently seeking employment.

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again.

It sounds like he would almost certainly need to pay child support. It seems doubtful that she would be able to earn $100k anytime soon.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK. How is child support calculated in Nebraska? Is there some sort of formula? Could you give me an example using these factors: Current income of 100K yearly with 4 kids.

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again.

Assuming those facts ($100k and 4 kids), and assuming that the spouse earns nothing, he'd have to pay about $2000 per month. But I assume that at some point the ex will be earning money, and that will decrease what your friend must pay. There could be other relevant factors as well, such as if he pays health insurance for the kids, etc.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience: Licensed to Practice Law