TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

My friend is getting a divorce and he has a small investment

My friend is getting a divorce and he has a small investment (Pioneer Funds) worth about $4,000. He is worried his soon to be ex may just cash it out and keep/spend those funds. Would their be any problem with him cashing it out, giving her half, then re-investing his half?
Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

Your friend sounds like a smart guy. If I were his attorney, I would likely do exactly that: take half and leave her the other half. She would have no reason to complain and a judge would have no problem with it. Leaving the money where it is may result in a situation where the spouse takes it all and is not as generous to leave him half. A judge may ultimately order her to reimburse him the money, but good luck collecting. That may or may not ever happen.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied. Also, your positive feedback is much appreciated. Thank you for using our service!

If you would like to direct additional legal questions to me in the future, then please type "To VAMD" in the subject line of your question.