Brandon M.
Brandon M., Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Attorney experienced in all aspects of family law

Hello, I am in the middle of a divorce in California, been

Hello, I am in the middle of a divorce in California, been married 22 years, how many years will I be required to pay spousal support? Thank you
Hello there:

Thank you for your question. A marriage 10 years or longer is presumed to be a long-term marriage in California, which means that there is no limit to how long spousal support could be ordered. Hypothetically, for any given marriage, it could be indefinite. However, circumstances can change and, with a change in circumstances, a spousal support order can generally be modified or terminated. No matter what your situation is right now, it is very unlikely that your situation will be the same 30, 20, or even 10 years from now.