Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.

My husband filed contempt charges on Tuesday against his ex

My husband filed contempt charges on Tuesday against his ex wife. It is for not following the parenting plan and keeping his daughter from him. Now that we have filed it, she is keeping his daughter this weekend also. Do we file another contempt charge? Or do we add this one on to the one filed on Tuesday? And how would I go about that. I have not turned in my working copies yet.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

Good grief, I am sorry to hear that you are in this situation. The better way may be to file an amended complaint and include this charge and this period of time as an additional violation. This would allow the courts to hear this claim as well and would save your husband an additional filing charge. Contact the court clerk and ask if there are any special instructions in filing an amended complaint in your courts--usually it is simply refiling the original complaint with additional terms added and retitling it as an amended complaint, although some require an additional document with just the amended charges on it. Then refile, serve on the ex, and have the whole document reviewed by the judge at the hearing.

Good luck.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Wonderful, thanks very much. Will do on Monday, have a great weekend.