How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ScottyMacEsq Your Own Question
ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 16219
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
ScottyMacEsq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Does a power of attorney for child have to be filed with the courts? My father, whom adop

This answer was rated:

Does a power of attorney for child have to be filed with the courts?
My father, whom adopted my 14 year old niece when she was 3 yrs old would like me to have power of attorney for my niece. I live in Washington State and they live in Wisconsin? What is the proper procedure for getting this done?
Thank you for using JustAnswer.

No, a power of attorney does not need to be filed with the courts. A power of attorney is an extrajudicial document that does not need judicial authorization, but rather authorization of the individual that has the authority to delegate the power.

what you will want to power of attorney for the state that the child is living in, and the guardian of the child will fill out that power of attorney, sign it in the presence of a notary, and give it to you. With the power of attorney you will be able to act as the de facto guardian.

Furthermore, you would need to have a specific type of power of attorney, which is a power of attorney over a minor.

You can find such a form here:

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX luck to you!
ScottyMacEsq and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you