Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Lawyer
Experience:  I have assisted many customers and clients with their family law questions and I'm experienced in family law litigation.
45002201

Hi, Im applying to become law enforcement and am 23. I

I'm applying to become law enforcement and am 23. I browse a site called 4chan once in a while. Without intending to, I came across child porn a few times. Any images posted onto the site are thumbnails that cannot be hidden, so it's unavoidable. Although I reported these images anytime I saw them, I'm afraid that this could disqualify me during a polygraph. Not that I saved these images anyway; I'm just worried that this could end my dreams.

texlawyer :

Good evening. I'll be assisting you with your question.

texlawyer :

That will not disqualify you since you did not even commit a crime, let alone get convicted of one.

texlawyer :

To be guilty of a child pornography offense, you must intentionally access the images, not simply accidently run across them.

texlawyer :

In fact, if you reported them, you did exactly what you are required to do under the law.

Customer:

I figured as much, but I've read some horror stories about that online. My department doesn't ask this on their personal history statement, but I've also never done a polygraph. I think that's why I was worried.

Customer:

So it makes me feel a lot better that I don't have to rethink if I've committed an undetected felony.

texlawyer :

It is unlikley that they will ask anything specific to that, but if they do, keep in mind that you did not do anything wrong becauase you did not intentionally access them.

texlawyer :

You have not committed any crime. Your conscience should be clear.

Customer:

Good! That makes me feel much better.

texlawyer :

Glad to help. Good luck on your career!

Customer:

And they won't send the FBI to my house or whatever. Even better.

Customer:

Thank you.

Customer:

First time user; excellent rating.

texlawyer :

I'm a former federal prosecutor, so I have a great deal of respect for law enforcement.

texlawyer :

In fact, I prosecuted many child pornography cases.

Customer:

It's a bit disheartening how common it is.

Customer:

But at any rate, it makes me feel more confident.

texlawyer :

It is very common. People have to be careful what they download.
I'm glad you had a good first experience with Just Answer. Can I help you with anything else?

Customer:

Thanks again.

texlawyer :

If not, please remember to "rate" my answer using the set of faces.

Customer:

I can't think of anything else.

texlawyer :

Thanks for the positive rating! if you have any questions in the future, you can direct them to me here: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-texlawyer/