Brandon M.
Brandon M., Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Attorney experienced in all aspects of family law

A voluntary transfer of custody was granted in Juvenile Court

A voluntary transfer of custody was granted in Juvenile Court in New Orleans. The grandmother, who was granted custody of the child in the voluntary transfer, would like to file for sole custody. Does it need to be filed in Juvenile or regular civil court.

Brandon M. :

Hello there.

Brandon M. :

Thank you for your question. I should start by saying that because the nuances of every question are different, this information should not be construed as complete or advice without consulting in person with counsel. That said, when the juvenile court takes jurisdiction over a child, it retains jurisdiction over all custody matters until jurisdiction is terminated. In layman terms, once the juvenile courts get involved, until the juvenile courts say "we're done with him", any request for a custody change would ordinarily have to go through the juvenile courts.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

As stated, I am an attorney and practiced in family law for over a year. However, this is the first case I am dealing with in Juvenile court. Are you certain that it retains jurisdiction?

Yes, and this comes up fairly often. As you are aware, there is a significant amount of cross-over between the jurisdiction of the juvenile and family courts.

I see under "already tried" you stated that you are an attorney. I apologize--I was not able to view that information from the "chat" mode when I first opened your question. However, I appreciate that I am now free to speak with you using technical terminology. As you know, every case is different. Do you have any specific reason to believe that the juvenile courts would not have jurisdiction over custody in this particular case?