Amber E.
Amber E., Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Experienced practitioner in family law, including divorce, custody, and domestic violence cases.

I want to change my name, I was born in san Francisco CA, I

I want to change my name, I was born in san Francisco CA, I am living now in mexico, but I can travel to Los Angeles very often, I want to buy the "change you name package" on line but I can take the documents to the judge you give such service..? and if so how much it will cost to represente me..?
Hello, Thank you for your question.

In California, the process for getting a court order changing your name beings with the filing of a Petition for a Change of Name. There is a How-to Guide on the California Courts website ( I have provided the web address below). That guide will walk you through how to do this.

Keep in mind, the process can take up to 3 months. After you file your Petition for Change of Name, you will get a court date on your Order to Show Cause for Change of Name that will be between 6 and 12 weeks away. If your paperwork is correct and you followed all the required steps, on or soon after your court date, the court will give you a court order called a “decree” changing your name. Some courts are busier than others, and it may take longer.

In some limited cases, the judge may not agree to change your name. The main reasons why this can happen are:

If the judge finds that you are changing your name to commit fraud, or
If the judge finds that you are changing your name to hide from the law or the police or for some other illegal reason

Unfortunately, we are not allowed to provide legal representation, which would include document preparation. However, California Courts guide and the web address below has all of the forms one would need, including: Petition for Change of Name (Form NC-100), the Attachment to Petition for Change of Name (Form NC-110), Order to Show Cause for Change of Name (Form NC-120), and Civil Case Cover Sheet (Form CM-010).

The California Courts website address is:

I hope this has been a help to you, please let me know if you have any follow up questions. And don't forget to rate my answer, it is the only way we receive credit for assisting you.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX again.