Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.

I have a few more questions,

Customer Question

I have a few more questions, What happens if the birth mother cannot find the birth father and wants to give the baby to this couple to adopt. does it matter if the birth cert is left empty where the father is supposed to sign. What if the birth mother gives guardianship to this couple for the first six months? What can they do to make this as smooth as possible in the courts

Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

If the mother cannot find the birth father and she proves to the court she has exhausted reasonable means to locate him, the court will allow service by publication of the notice in the city where he was last known to reside and the case can proceed. Furthermore, if the father has had no contact with her or the child and has failed to provide support, this is considered abandonment, failure to provide support and parental disinterest and all are grounds for involuntary termination of parental rights.

If the birth mother give temporary guardianship to the couple, that is permissible as well.

If the birth father has not signed the birth certificate this means he is not listed as the official father on the birth records, which would be further grounds for the court to terminate his parental rights, because he has not acknowledged paternity.