How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask originallawyer Your Own Question
originallawyer, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 844
Experience:  9+ years of experience in divorce, custody battles and mediation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
originallawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I filed for divorce, my husband never sent in an response and

This answer was rated:

I filed for divorce, my husband never sent in an response and we have temporary orders. We have since come to an agreement, but I am now thinking it is unfair to me, we go to court in 2 weeks for uncontested final divorce. Can the judge overrule our agreement to a number they see fit, I know if I go back to my husband he won't want to come up with a new agreement. I am wondering because with the information supplied the judge came up with their own numbers for child support and spousal support and the agreed upon number is XXXXX lot less.

Good evening: Here's the problem: If you no longer agree to the agreement, then your divorce is no longer uncontested. You would need to then proceed with the divorce as a contested divorce, and ask the Judge to make a ruling that is fair and equitable to both parties.


At an uncontested final divorce hearing, the Judge will not make any modifications because the premise is that you both agree to it. Even if you are agreeing to a lower amount, the Judge presumes that you are okay with this because you've agreed to an uncontested divorce.


The only time a Judge might overrule your agreement is if you have both agreed to something that is "contrary to public policy", like perhaps NO child support, or an agreement that neither one of you will ever get remarried, etc.

originallawyer and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you