LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
15277592

My son is married to a woman who will not let him bring my

My son is married to a woman who will not let him bring my grandson who is almost two years old to visit. I only see him when she comes to play for the young peoples choir on Sundays. She does not let me hold him. I have asked why but she has not given an explanation. My pastor has tried to talk with her but to no avail. I live in DC and she resides in Virginia. Even though she is married to my son, I am not sure where he resides because there are issues between them.
Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

So long as your son and his wife are married, she has no legal control over whether he brings the baby to see you. The fact that they may be separated, and that he may live somewhere else for the time being, doesn't make a difference.

If you want to, you can also hire an attorney in the state of VA and apply to the court for visitation under the laws supporting Grandparents Rights.

Either way, you can get visitation with your grandson. You will need to convince your son that he is not legally obligate to follow the rules that his wife may try and make. The law grants him the right as a father to allow you to see your grandchild if he wants, and the mother cannot stop that. Or you can apply to the court for your grandparent rights.

You may reply back to me again, using the Reply to Expert link, if you have additional questions.

I wish you the best in your future,

Doug
Thank you for your positive rating of my service, Mary. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope than you will ask for me on JustAnswer should a future need ever arise.

Please feel free to bookmark the following link so you can request me to answer any future legal questions you may have:
http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-lawtalk/

Thanks again---I wish you and your family the best!

Doug

When you receive your Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please do rate me highly (9-10) there as well. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.