Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney

My boyfriend went to precinct to face a claim against him.... Last

Customer Question

My boyfriend went to precinct to face a claim against him....
Last year he had an argument with my parents. ..since then they don't like him...a few days ago he saw a big scratch on his car he thought my father did it ...the day after he saw my father walking and told him that if he find out that he did it he gonna have to pay for it...they started insulting each other my told him that he's gonna bring someone to beat him father try to hit boyfriend pushed him and my father fell on the boyfriend called and told me to go outside to check on my father ...when I went my father wasn't there I kept looking for him and I found him 3 blocks away he's was in his way to his job ...he told me that I must be happy that my boyfriend hit him. ..after that my father went to hospital saying that my boyfriend punched him in the face and kicked him while he was on the ground.....what u think it'll happen? We have no money to pay for a lawyer....does he needs one?....
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 3 years ago.
Dear JACUSTOMER - Your boyfriend should not talk to the police and unless he is under arrest has no duty to stay there or to answer any questions. If he is charged with a crime he will need a lawyer and if he cannot afford a lawyer the court will appoint counsel. It is very important not to talk to the cops since everything he says will be used against him and nothing he says will help him. Every lawyer in America will tell you the same thing. Obviously I have no idea what he said or did up until this time but he needs to keep quiet. Your father would have to testify against him if there is a trial so I have no way of knowing what your father will do but anything your boyfriend says will also be used against him.