originallawyer
originallawyer, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  9+ years of experience in divorce, custody battles and mediation.
74576488

Hi I am 17 years old and my girlfriend is 16, she will be 17

Hi I am 17 years old and my girlfriend is 16, she will be 17 on july 13 and I will be 18 on september 28. We want to know where we can get married without parental consent if she is pregnant.
Hello:

In what state do you currently reside? This is important because laws on when a minor may marry vary by state.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I live in New Mexico, but am willing to go anywhere in the USA to get married.
Right now, under the laws of Delaware, Georgia, Maryland, and Oklahoma, you could get married since she is pregnant. All other states require you to be over 18, even if pregnancy is present, if you want to get married without parental consent.
originallawyer, Family Law Attorney
Experience: 9+ years of experience in divorce, custody battles and mediation.

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a different JustAnswer.com Family Law professional.

Unfortunately, I do strongly disagree with the answer given by the previous expert, since even in the few states that do permit a pregnant minor under 18 to marry without written parental consent, such marriage license has to be approved by the judge and it is entirely in the judge's discretion whether to approve such marriage.This explains why the previous answer was not backed up by any specific laws or statutes related to the states, which previous expert claims would allow for someone who is pregnant and under 18 to get married without parental consent or court's involvement.

I wish you the best of luck!

Just to further extend on my answer, since previous expert also did not cover couple more important issues related to the situation in question:

1) If the 18 year old takes 17 year old across state lines, he can end up with criminal charges against him for taking the minor across state lines, harboring a runaway and possible several other charges.

2) If the 17 year old is not the resident of the state where she attempts to get married, the court of that state would not have jurisdiction to hear the petition for the 17 year old to get married without parental consent based on pregnancy.

I wish you the best of luck!